« Home | Here are some neighbors to the platypus » | A Quick Reminder of G.I. Joe bad guys » | Nate suggests the Tarsier » | Hark! Is that a puppy growl I hear? Or a brooding ... » | Life Day 2004 » | More than you need to know about... » | Pangolins are the best animals » | Ultraman monsters » | If I had my Bruthers » | Nellie Bly » 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 

Changeling FAQ

How can I prevent my child from being replaced by a changeling?
Baptism is recommended.
A constant vigil on the child may also prevent exchange.
In the event of the watcher falling asleep, place a key next to the infant.
Also, the laying of a pair of men's pants, preferably the father's, over the cradle or on the child itself, may aid in prevention.

How do I know if I have a changeling?
It has a thick head and staring eyes, and does nothing but eat and drink.
You have grown tired of it.
It is very strong.
It gets sick.
If it hasn't said anything before now, and then it suddenly says, "Ho! Ho!"
It admits to being 800 years-old or older.
Go get the child weighed at a holy place. They'll tell you whether it is one or not.

So I've got a changeling, what can I expect?
In short, a miserable time.
It will laugh when things are going badly for you.
It won't live longer than seven years, although some might last eighteen or nineteen.

What should I do with my changeling?
Trick it into revealing itself.
Abuse it in some way so that the kidnappers arrive, complain, and switch your child back (preferred).
Burn it over flames.
Throw it in the water.

What happened to the mortal child replaced by a changeling?
They may become kings, or help purify the ugly underground people. Reports indicate their eyes become large and dreadful and the hems of their skirts are always dripping wet.

A good rule of thumb when dealing with changelings:

Follow any and all advice given by your community.